Everton are one of the oldest clubs in English football – but how much do you know about the Everton badge history?
・Everton are one of the most famous clubs in English football
・The Toffees have competed in the top flight of English football for 117 seasons
・Everton’s badge features the Lock-Up, which has featured on the crest since before the Second World War
A true stalwart of Premier League betting, the Everton badge is as well-known as any in English football. The Toffees have been in the top flight of the English game for 117 seasons.
They might not be atop FA Cup predictions or challenging for titles in the 21st century, but there’s no doubting their status as one of the nation’s biggest clubs.
The EFC badge isn’t featured on as much merchandise sold worldwide as their Merseyside rivals. The club’s profile cannot match that of Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal or Chelsea.
Yet, with recent investment, worldwide stars and an all-time great manager, Everton have been emphasised as a club of glamour.
Once associated with the effective but dour football of the David Moyes era, the EFC badge is donned by Champions League-level talents like Richarlison, James Rodriguez and Allan in 2020/21.
Silverware hasn’t exactly been common over the last few decades, but Everton’s fanbase has remained fiercely loyal.
Tony Bellew’s net worth was built in the ring, yet Everton has retained its status as his true love. Bellew is just one of many famous Everton fans, including Amanda Holden, Paul McCartney and John McEnroe.
The EFC badge has a rich history, just like the club it represents. Changes aplenty since the club was founded, and with important symbolism, here’s a look back at how the EFC badge has changed over the years.
Everton Badge History
The first sighting of an EFC crest was around a century ago. Appearing on kits in the 1920s, the original club badge was relatively simplistic. The letters ‘EFC’ were intwined, almost to the point you couldn’t make them out, in white text on a blue shield.
This initial EFC badge remained on the shirts for the majority of the next decade, but it disappeared for another four decades afterwards.
One year before the Second World War, the club opted to design a new logo to be used on club ties. This responsibility fell to Theo Kelly.
Kelly, as reported by Everton’s official website, said, “I was puzzling over it for four months. Then I thought of a reproduction of the ‘Beacon’ which stands in the heart of Everton.”
Prince Rupert’s Tower has been synonymous with Everton since the 18th century. It still stands to this day. The Tower featured at the centre of a white shield on the club’s second badge in 1938.
A banner ran below the shield with the club’s motto, ‘Nil Satis, Nisi Optimum’. This translates to ‘Nothing but the best is good enough’.
This new, white badge wasn’t used on the shirt, however. For several years, the club didn’t have a crest on the players’ jerseys.
This remained the case until 1972, when ‘EFC’ was embroidered into the shirt. Change was afoot just four years later, though, as the font was simplified.
By 1978, the tower was back. Kelly’s original design had been altered, with a circular ring around the EFC badge. This stuck for four years. In 1982, the Latin motto and shield were removed for a straight forward design based on the tower with ‘Everton’ written above it.
Only 12 months passed before the EFC badge evolved once again. The tower had a new look, and it was paired with wreathes on either side. In 1991, the club reverted to the past, and produced a badge most similar to the 1978 edition.
Minor alterations followed in 2000. The year of the club’s creation, 1878, was added either side of the crest, and ‘Everton’ was placed underneath the badge. This is the design many younger football fans are most familiar with. It stuck until 2013.
Given a considerable facelift for 2013/14, fans were not impressed with the new EFC badge. This meant it lasted only one season. A vote was held for the new badge, and this fresh crest has stuck since 2014.
First Everton Badge
The first EFC badge could be a point of debate. Some would argue the first crest used on kits in the 1920s was the first club badge, while others would suggest Kelly’s creation in 1938 was the first proper logo to represent the club.
Kelly undertook the effort in 1938, long before anyone was searching for a Premier League prediction site. This was still a considerable period into the history of Everton, however.
They had won four league titles and two FA Cups by the time Kelly’s creation was used.
Prince Rupert’s Tower
Officially called the Everton Lock-Up, the tower which features prominently on the EFC badge is most commonly known as Prince Rupert’s Tower. It is sometimes referred to as ‘Everton Tower’.
Although most famous for being on the Everton crest, the Everton Lock-Up is an historically significant structure. It is one of two surviving lock-ups in Liverpool, located on Everton Brow.
Initially opened in 1787, it was used for minor criminals, and has become a Grade-II listed building. When the Everton Lock-Up was renovated back in 1997, the club gave a £15,000 donation.
Current Everton Badge
Returning to the blue shield format, the current EFC badge once again has Prince Rupert’s Tower in the centre. Wreathes either side accompany the tower, though the wreathes are higher than they have been on previous incarnations.
‘Everton’ is written in clear text below the tower, with ‘1878’ in a smaller font below. The club’s motto has returned for the latest EFC badge, once again featuring on a banner at the bottom of the crest.